Blog Feedback for Linett Kamala

Blog Feedback for Linett Kamala

Hi Linett, I found this post really interesting for a number of reasons. Firstly, as Merissa has mentioned, your articulation of how focusing on visuals can help your lectures be more accessible. This is something I’ve tried to use in my own presentations, particularly as sometimes I speak with students from different countries (currently Norway). On the visual theme I have also experimented with using short sections from films to help describe my ideas—the more popular and mainstream the film the better—and this has acted as a good way in for a whole variety of different students with different needs. I’ve found it helps transcend cultural differences too. The post made me think that maybe in the future music could also be a beneficial avenue of exploration, and that finding films with ‘audio description’ and ‘sign language’ would be a great help. 

My second point of interest was how you described your talk in Lambeth and thoughtful acknowledgement of different needs. I sometimes get the chance to write about art and different types of artistic practice, and I think it would be good for many artists to think about disability as part of their artistic output rather than leave it to the institution. In an ideal world it would be a collaboration between artist and institution but from what I’ve seen this is worryingly not the case.